Assabet Valley Workshop series, Spring & Fall
Regional Workshops - "Successful Small Business Start-Up"
by Worcester SCORE®
- A series of seven tested and acclaimed weekly workshops, 2.5 hours each, offered at Assabet Valley Center for Continuing Education, 215 Fitchburg Street, Marlboro, MA.
- Learn all the basic skills for successfully starting and growing your own small business.
- Presentations/discussions led by various volunteers from Worcester Regional SCORE, all former executives with deep personal experience in each topic.
- Always-free individual SCORE counseling is also available during and after the course from the teachers/mentors at our area offices in Worcester, Westborough, Fitchburg, Marlborough, and Whitinsville.
Topics covered include:
- Introduction to the course and how SCORE functions.
- How to get organized.
- Why businesses succeed or fail.
- Choosing a business legal entity.
- The role of insurance.
- Projecting start-up costs.
- Overview of financial management.
- Importance of learning to read and use financial information to run your business better, manage working capital, and find good sources of short-term financing.
- Essential decisions to make when starting a business, and useful tips and tools for managing a successful operation, including pricing strategy, break-even analysis, accounting, control, and tax issues.
- How to prepare a crucial Business Plan, communicating your strategy for achieving objectives. Topics include basic elements of a Plan, contents of the descriptive and financial sections, and how to identify critical success factors.
- How to create an effective Marketing Plan. The program will focus on how to identify a target market, establish a competitive advantage, find niche opportunities, and pricing strategy. The sales process, advertising and sales promotion, and keys to successful selling.
- The growing importance of e-commerce, applications that deliver value, and website attributes needed to achieve recognition and buyer approval.
- Tax-related issues important to the small business owner, including choosing the business entity that's right for you, the proper reporting of income for tax purposes, and employee benefit programs available to the entrepreneur.
Assabet Valley After Dark Workshops, Spring and Fall:
Next Seven-Week Series starts September 22, 2015: Tuesdays, 6:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Course Fee $175 (Couples $299)
Register online at www.assabetafterdark.com, or call Assabet Valley's Continuing Education Center at 508-263-9651.